Friday, August 20, 2004

He who lives in glass house... can now throw stones.


Translucent Concrete

So I just read an article about a new building material called Litracon. Its made of traditional concrete and glass fiber optics. It is apparently just as strong as traditional concrete, but because it allows light to pass through, it doesn't feel as heavy or oppressive. It could also be very useful in allowing light into underground tunnels. I don't know that I would want a house made out of it, because I would assume if daylight soaks in during the day, at night my silhouette will be visible from the outside. A street of glowing houses would be pretty cool though. Anyway, I think it is a neat concept and hope to see it put to use.


Sometimes you can't see the trees through the forrest... but you can see them through the building.

For more info and pictures:
http://optics.org/articles/news/10/3/10/1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home